Tuesday, February 26, 2013

First official group run

I am so excited that after 2 weeks of trying to get things organized, we finally had our first official group run on Sunday morning! Normally the runs are on Saturdays, but this past Saturday was a MESS outside. Rainy and just yucky! There was 6 of us originally that decided we would be out there to run, but there were a few last minute changes in some of the girls' schedules, so it ended up being Anni, an amazing young lady that I met up with for the first time, and myself.

The weather was still a little cloudy and was pretty chilly when we got out our cars to chit chat while waiting to see if anyone else was going to arrive. After we realized that it was just going to be the two of us, we started with a brisk walk. Then got into our running. I started to realize that something wasnt right. I did wear my skechers "go-runs" that (just remembering) that I had not worn them on pavement before. They encourage a mid-foot strike, so of course I thought it was the shoes because my legs felt like they were being toned. The last time I wore them, I felt the same thing. Its like they train your feet and lower legs to use different muscles.

I started feeling like I couldnt breathe - So naturally I think, "Man, i have to get back to these cold morning runs. It must be the cold air"....I had to take a few walk breaks and get back into the running. I finally figure out what is wrong. Anni has some fire in her feet! Her pace is faster than mine. I remember that she had not been over a certain amount of miles, so naturally for her pacing herself will come with time, trial and error. She told me that some of her miles are 8/9 minute miles! When I started running more than 3 miles, I had to learn to pace myself or I wouldnt last through all the miles



It was all fun though, as it really challenged me to keep up. I was definitely thinking "Gosh, here I am trying to put together this running group and I cant even keep up. What in the world". I am really looking forward to more group runs and having more people join us. I am a little scared for what it can become because I always expect the best. And this has totally been out of my comfort zone. I have always had the idea of starting a group, but was terrfied of the what ifs. What changed? God has been by my side the whole time. I believe that he has been shaping me into what he wants me to be and giving me the desires of my heart. Running, helping, inspiring, and motivating others is my passion. He is my confidence that gets me out there!

 I did meet another girl at my gym on Saturday and she has always wanted to learn how to be a runner. I told her that I would love to have her join us. Even though there will be a lot of us running, it is okay if someone may have to walk and then pick it back up. One thing people think when they just start out is that they have to keep up and run the whole time even if they are by themselves. That is when people get discouraged and think they are a failure and will never be able to run. The truth is you CAN always go at your own pace. When you are just starting out with running, it is so easy to want to quit. You have to think, say you just joined the gym and you want to try Zumba so bad, but you think you will never keep up. One day you try it and love it. So you keep going and each time you go you get better and can last longer. The same thing is with running - you have to start and keep going and you will get better with time. Our minds and thoughts will have us thinking all sorts of things to tell us that we cant do something. But I am going to tell you that you CAN do anything that you set out to do. It may not always be easy, but it is always possible. Run/walk intervals are the best way to start. Heck I still have to do that at times :-)

Much Love
Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment